Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 2010 Book : The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
















-->
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Woa
Junot Doaz
From the publisher:
Tells the story of Oscar, a sweet but disastrously overweight ghetto nerd, a New Jersey romantic who dreams of becoming the Dominican J.R.R. Tolkien and most of all, of finding love. But he may never get what he wants, thanks to the fuku - the ancient curse that has haunted Oscar's family for generations, dooming them to prison, torture, tragic accidents and ill-starred romance. Oscar, still dreaming of his first kiss, is only its most recent victim - until the fateful summer that he decides to be it last.

4 comments:

  1. This was the first book reviewed by our book club. Tell us what you thought of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was not my 'cup of tea", however I can appreciate why others loved it. I found the foot notes very distracting, was uncomfortable with the swearing, found the characters frustrating and as I can't read Spanish felt I was missing out on something. Perhaps if I read it again I may get more out of it and pay more attention to the footnotes rather than the story. However, life is too short and there are too many books. Gave it **.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As everyone knows, my feelings about this selection are quite similar to Elita's. The writing did not appeal to me at all, the footnotes were very distracting and much of the Spanish was beyond my knowledge which left me feeling as though I was missing something key to the story at those times. I gave it 1 of 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, someone has to stand up for this book! You know Gale King says she loves, loves loves something. Well, I say energy, energy, energy. I felt there was a dynamo hidden in the pages that was going to explode. It was the best disguise of a historical novel I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete