Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Particular Sadness Of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender, August 2012



From the publisher/paperback edition:

On the eve of her ninth birthday, unassuming Rose Edelstein bites into her mother's homemade lemon-chocolate cake and discovers she has a magical gift: she can taste her mother’s emotions in the slice. To her horror, she finds that her cheerful mother tastes of despair. Soon, she’s  privy to the secret knowledge that most families keep hidden: her father’s detachment, her mother’s transgression, her brother’s increasing retreat from the world. But there are some family secrets that even her cursed taste buds can’t discern.

For author info, please click here.

We will meet to chat about this novel on Thursday, August 30, 2012, 7pm, at the Library (located at Borough Hall, 100 First Avenue).

1 comment:

  1. Great time last night & a great discussion! We were roughly split 50/50 on this one. I found this book to be sad, dull and flat. There was something missing for me. It had 2 strikes against it right off the bat as I'm not too fond of novels in the 1st person POV or when the main character is a kid. I really wanted to like it and kept with it hoping I would. But, alas, it was not to be. I don't use 1 star lightly either and I felt bad using it but I just didn't like this one. I can see why others liked it once we chatted about it last night, and I'm glad they enjoyed it. With all I have had going on in recent months, I don't think the timing for this novel was right for me. On to the next!

    ReplyDelete